Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wrong Turn 2 (2007)

Written by Turi Meyer & Al Septien
Directed by Joe Lynch

I don't need to bother with the obvious stuff here, I know you guys know what it's about, so I'll get to what I liked. The gore, obviously, it's fantastically well done, and from what I could tell there wasn't an ounce of CGI in it, something that is sadly highly commendable on its own these days.

Sure, the characters are all crappy, annoying stereotypes, and even the story is pretty derivative, we've seen it a bunch of times before even though the reality TV craze is like less than 10 years old. I like how it becomes Wrong Turn on a more Deliverance style note, and I also liked the explanation for these mutated creatures, along with the family structure, and how we get to learn quite a bit more about these strange creatures.

The first film was cool because the audience had no clue what the hell these things were or where they came from, but in a sequel you naturally have to expand above and beyond what the first story encompassed, and I thought that while some of the story elements were ridiculous, such as Henry Rollins going half-rate Rambo, the gore and the quick pace kept me from being bored, and managed to do something different and ultimately worthwile. This is what a direct to video sequel should be.
 

8.4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment