Thursday, March 31, 2011

Flight of the Living Dead (2006)


First off, the thing that bugged me was how big of a Snakes on a Plane rip-off it was. I mean, literally, nearly every scene was an exact replica of Snakes, just with a zombie twist. The cast of characters was really similar (cop and his transport, horny couple, famous black guy, high maintenance blonde, snooty stewardess, and the moron pilot), after their introductions, we get the cargo breaking loose, the slow realization that something is wrong, the problems with the plane itself, people start getting attacked by said menace, the stairs up to the second level, extended scenes of everyone being attacked, even though it seems like there weren't nearly that many people at the beginning of the film, blocking the aisles off, the plane ripping open to get rid of the menace, and then finally, an unexperienced person landing the plane, along with a love story developing between cop and stewardess.

This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, I just found it hilarious how almost every basic concept in Snakes was lifted for this movie. But that's besides the point. Because this one is about the confined space and the beginning of a zombie plague. Also, I give them a few points for stuff like the TSA Air Marshall, the idea of why the first zombie was created, the gore, how to get that many guns on board a plane, and the fact that no one wanted them to land anywhere, along with some of the effects, like the doctor cut in half walking on his hands (I still, for the life of me, can't honestly figure out how they did that, I mean, I have my ideas, but most shots in any movie I can reverse engineer how they did the shot) and that ending, where all the zombies are following them to the town. Good stuff.

One thing my cynical mood really brought out was the poor attempts at good acting. It's not that the acting was bad, far from it, but everyone was trying so hard to act like they were great, it kind of got on my nerves. Another thing that bugged me was the fact that 90% of zombie feasting was done at the neck. I understand this though, since neck appliances like that are cheap and easy, and for the most part they look good. But if every 9 out of 10 kills is done in that fashion, it kind of gets old, and you can tell how low budget the movie is. I would have liked to see more compound fractures, like the first guy, more dismemberments, more face eating, and overall more blood. Still, I didn't find these things took a lot away from my viewing pleasure, I just thought that if they were done differently, I would have enjoyed the film a whole ton more.

Not to mention if the story was more of a deviation from Snakes on a Plane, I would've given them a ton of points for finding originality in such a blatantly ripped off plot, but I digress.

6.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment