Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mystic River (2003)

Based on the novel by Dennis Lehane
Written for the Screen by Brian Helgeland
Directed by Clint Eastwood

Well, it just goes to show that it is rare for a film to do a story full justice when it first comes in book form, because there are layers and layers of depth that are lost in this film. Not that I blame the makers of the film, I think if there is anyone that can add depth to a film as a director, it's Clint Eastwood. However, no matter how much depth he adds, there was still so much missing, that made the story, the characters, and the themes being explored so much richer. My problem with that is I see no reason to leave these things out, other than to shorten the run time. When we're speaking of art, and do not be mistaken, Lehane's story is a work of art, it cannot be inundated with run times and budget limitations. However, a film is, so I guess the nature of an adaptation means the art is going to suffer. I understand the film would not have been as commercially successful if it were 3 hours long, but fuck that, it needs to be seen unabridged. No Bobby O'Donnell, no Roman Fallow, and that's just inexcusable, as their absence simplifies the story to the point where it isn't much different from any other murder mystery film.

Despite all of my disappointments with the nature of the adaptation, it is a very good film, and all three main actors were the best possible choices. I read the book, purposely not knowing who was who in the film, but by the time I finished the book, I knew for sure who each main actor played, and Eastwood would have been stupid not to cast those people. I mean, even if I had read the book before the movie was made, I think Robbins, Bacon, and Penn would've been my choices. I'm also a big fan of the guy who played Val (Freddie from Brotherhood) and Fishburne was a perfect Sgt. Powers, despite the fact that Powers is white in the book. Doesn't matter. Those are the changes that show Eastwood is not stupid, that he is in fact extremely talented, and can see past the book, to be able to see what would make the film better.

Still though, I can't help but lower the rating in certain aspects, if only because I know there was more depth to the story, and that added depth carried a lot of the emotional weight within the book. However, the main points were well conveyed, and to Helgeland's credit, he did a good job externalizing a lot of points that were completely internal thoughts of the characters. The only problem is that no matter how adept at adaptation Helgeland is (and Eastwood, for that matter), they just can't put everything that's on the book of the page directly onto the screen of the film.

The cinematography, locations, costumes, accents, and attitudes were all perfectly captured, I don't think there is a person in the world that would argue against that. For my personal taste though, I feel there were a lot of things I would have done differently, that would have made it a more faithful adaptation, and in turn, a better film overall. I know that sounds silly when the film was one of the most critically acclaimed of the year, and Penn and Robbins won acting awards, but I think with a few extra scenes left intact, a few more minutes of runtime, and a few different methodologies of conveying the thoughts and motivations of the characters, it could have been one of the most critically acclaimed films of all time. Could be just me though.

A faithful adaptation, as far as adaptations go, but not a fully faithful telling of the story Lehane actually left on the page, and in the minds of his readers. When it comes to a rating, that is certainly a factor, but as I mentioned before, it can't be blamed on the filmmakers, rather on the process of book-to-film adaptation itself. A very good film, filled with great acting, superb craftsmanship (as far as cinematography, costumes, location choices, set dressing, casting, use of music, and the gorgeous visual direction of Eastwood), and ballsy storytelling, in the end, I can't help but feel it still could have been even better.

9.2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment